Your home requires regular maintenance, which is both good for your family and your bank account. As it stands, most people like postponing roof replacement and instead opt for repairs. Well, that tactic may work for you in the short-term, but may also end up costing you a fortune in the long run.
But again, not all the solutions at your home need cut and dry treatment. Sometimes it is okay to repair the roof instead of replacing it altogether. So, how do you know if you should repair or replace it? Here are some tips.
When to repair:
You should consider repairing instead of replacing it under the following circumstances:
• You can opt to repair the roof if one or two shingles are damaged, but the detriment does not extend to any underlayment or decking.
• Repair also works better when the damage is not extensive, which means patching up the area of concern can work excellently and at a reduced cost as opposed to replacing the entire roof.
• Conversely, you can repair the roof if there is no leak extending through the layers of the roof.
However, it is essential to understand that a few shingles may expose the decking to moisture and damage the entire roof. You should, therefore, pay attention to the condition of your roof and replace it when possible instead of repairing it.
When to replace:
Knowing the right time to replace the roof depends on the following factors.
• Signs of moisture or damage by water: the moment you notice water or moisture seeping through the shingles, know it is high time you replace the roof. These signs can be in the form of brown spots on the ceiling or peeling of paints.
• Age of the roof: If your roof has served you well for say 20 years and you notice signs of wear and tear, then it is time to replace the roof.
• Material: the material used for the roofing design matters a lot. For instance, slate roofs can serve for decades without needing replacement, while metal roofs may pass its prime in a shorter period.
When the time is right to replace your roof, you need to consult an expert in home roofing solutions. It is equally essential to keep in mind that the cost of the roofing design should not be a driving factor when choosing a quality roofing contractor. It is more economical to invest in quality roofing product and excellent installation at the moment and to ensure that your home is safe for the long run.
Go back to our home page for more info from one of the best roofers in San Antonio TX.